Torr Home

Our exceptional retirement home in Plymouth

We have been an establishment charity and retirement home since 1929, offering comfort and specialist care services for loved ones.

History of Torr Home

Torr Homes original charity was founded in 1860, as The Devonport and Western Counties Association for Promoting the General Welfare of the Blind, and was initially based in a large house in Fore Street, Stonehouse. Following legacies and fundraising, this property was purchased in 1868, and was able to accommodate about a dozen residents. The charity then moved to Torr Home in 1929.Torr Home is situated in a beautiful 19th-century country mansion in the highest part of the City of Plymouth. It is a grand setting for a nursing and retirement home, having extensive grounds of three acres, and enjoys panoramic views over the City of Plymouth, Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor and out to sea over Plymouth Sound as far as the Eddystone Lighthouse.
We really appreciate everything you have done for my wife to make her feel at home with you. She is always treated with kindness, dignity and respect.

Our progress over the years

The charity became incorporated in 2006 and today operates under Torr Home, whilst still retaining the original charity number of 202210.Torr Home has evolved into one of the premier nursing and retirement homes in Plymouth and the South West. We still specialise in caring for people with visual impairment but have expanded activities to cater for all persons over 60 years of age.Full nursing status was acquired during 2008 providing an important new additional service to the residential, convalescence, respite, and daycare services already offered by the Charity.During 2008/2009, Torr Home undertook a sympathetic development of some redundant buildings in the grounds, to provide a complex of 18 retirement apartments.

We offer an extensive care service

In 2006, the Torr Home Charity decided to add a Dementia Nursing Unit to the services it provided. After a lengthy process, in 2010 the construction began of a brand new 16 bedroom Dementia Unit known as the Glentor Centre.The construction spanned all of 2011 with final commissioning taking place during 2012. Nursing and Care staff were recruited during 2011 and 2012. Appropriate training was provided to ensure we were ready to open our doors for business before the end of the first quarter of 2012.The first Resident arrived on the 12th of March, 2012. Thereafter, the number of Residents slowly increased throughout the remainder of the year and by the 4th quarter of the year, the Unit was busy, operating successfully and proving a valuable addition to the services provided by the Charity to the community in Plymouth and surrounding areas.